Saturday, August 1, 2009

Picnic Basket Makeover

When we decided that we were going to elope to a cute little B&B in New Hampshire (The Wentworth Inn at Jackson Falls) I knew I had to plan a romantic picnic for two. A romantic picnic just isn't a romantic picnic without the quaint romance of a classic picnic basket and so I began my search for one. I searched high & low for the perfect basket but I just couldn't find what I was really looking for unless I wanted to pay a ton of cash. Now I may be a little OCD and a bit of a perfectionist but I had to have what was in my imagination or nothing at all. I then started checking the thrift and 2nd hand stores. Nothing. Finally a friend found one and sent me a photo. It wasn't quite what I was looking for but I saw some potential in it and it only cost $14 so I had her pick it up for me. Once I got the basket in hand I knew what I had to do to make it over... and although the traditional red & white checkered cloth and thermos were cute, they just didn't have the level of romance I envisioned. I suddenly remembered some vintage fabric I had been saving ... you know, for something. When I dug it out I knew it was a match! A makeover with this fabric was exactly the character I was going for. I do have to say that it turned out wonderfully and our romantic picnic couldn't have been more perfect! (The location added to it, you might guess!)
Now that I'm not looking for a picnic basket anymore, I keep finding them at various thrift stores. So I decided that I would start to pick them up and make them over to sell and give as gifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Comments? Questions?