Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Art Studio

I moved to Connecticut while I was was working toward my MFA in visual art and I needed an art studio right away. I actually worked out of my tiny, low-ceiling basement for almost a year while I searched for another studio. My basement was the worst work space I ever had! One half of it is cement and the other half is a dirt crawl space. Even though we sealed the concrete with waterproofing and put up a plywood wall separating the crawl space, it was still so damp that everything grew a layer of mold. (Making me sick and ruining many of my paintings!) It became crucial to get a new work space!
I had called to check for space in an old mill building the year earlier but thought I would call again. This time I talked to the right person and went to see a space that day. It was big enough and the rent was cheap enough, so I took it. Because I was in my final semester in grad school I just threw everything in with out any real plan and started working. The clutter and disorganization became worse over time. So recently, I moved my office into the studio. First, for the convenience of doing all my art "work" in one location, but also, for an incentive to organize! For me, clutter is a killer! You forget what you have if you can't find it easily. As I started moving things around I began to notice that everything- the walls, doors and ceiling of the interior and exterior of the space was painted a kind of dirty looking mauvey-beige color and the floor was covered with icky dark green commercial carpeting. Right then I made the decision that it was time to finally take ownership of my studio and completely overhaul it! (I will have to ask permission to remove the carpet though.) It will be a lot of work but after the basement studio I now realize how stifling a bad space can be.
(Photos to come.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Comments? Questions?