Friday, September 18, 2009

Kick-Ass Work Tables


I've never loved a table before now.
As I was renovating and reorganizing my studio I decided that it would be very beneficial to have some good work tables on casters so I could move them around easily and accommodate various working conditions. First I looked online to see if I could find any on craigslist or eBay but then I decided it would be better to just make two myself. That way I would have exactly what I wanted. First I drew out a quick design sketch and then figured out dimensions and materials. I then decided to add a flat file drawer to store my sketch pads and papers (which normally sit on the floor under a table). The bottom photo shows all the materials (for both tables). For each table I used: 6 2x4's for the frame, 1 4x8 sheet 3/4" top quality plywood for the table top, 2 4x8 sheets 1/2" plywood for the bottom shelf and drawer base, 3 1x4x6 top quality pine for the drawer frame, 4 3" heavy duty swivel and locking casters, 22" drawer tracks, a bunch of 2 1/2" and 1 1/2" screws and some wood glue. My tools: 2 saw horses, a circular saw, a miter saw, drill, t-square and level. After a lot of hard work, scrapes, bruises and splinters I now have two really kick-ass work tables!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Comments? Questions?