Saturday, September 5, 2009

The Big Zucchini

When you go kayaking there are certain things you expect to see and then there might be a few surprises like catching a deer in the woods or maybe finding a tire in the water. But when a friend and I went kayaking in Rhode Island down some small channels off of Stump Pond (that's what the locals call it anyway) we didn't expect to find what we found! As we were paddling around discovering our unfolding surroundings we noticed something floating in the water stuck under a branch. At first we thought it was some kind of water fruit- but what? Nothing we knew of. I decided to try to get a closer look......ah ha! A ZUCCHINI!  A BIG ZUCCHINI! Actually, it was the biggest zucchini I've ever seen. What the...? I scooped it up to show my friend since by this time she was far ahead of  me. Once I reached her she said, "A big zucchini!?" Yep, and there was nothing wrong with it. Not even one bruise. It appeared to have been cut off at the stem and we speculated how it ended up floating in the channel... The farmer decided it was too big (?) and threw it in the woods, where it landed in the water and went for a little trip until it got caught up under a branch and we found it. I imagined a short film about it. I ended up bringing it back to her house and showed it off during a small dinner party. We all had a good laugh.

1 comment:

  1. LOl that's too funny. My friend lives right off of Stump Pond so you must have gone right past her house, lol. I should tell her to go zucchini hunting off the banks, lol.

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts? Comments? Questions?